How To Grow Onions In A Plastic Bottle?!
Onions are a nutrient-dense food, meaning that while they are low in calories they are high in beneficial nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
The health benefits of consuming onions include lowering the risk of several types of cancer, improving mood and maintaining the health of skin and hair.
It is always very handy, to have your herbs and vegetables right there in the kitchen. How to grow a vertical onion garden in your kitchen using a plastic bottle?
You Will Need:
- 5l plastic bottle
- A pair of scissors
- A lot of onion bulbs
– Cut the neck off the plastic bottle.
– Using the scissors, cut holes around the body of the plastic bottle. Make sure that the holes are big enough for the onions and spaced evenly apart.
– Carefully pour some soil into the bottle until it reaches the first layer of holes.
– Position your onions at the mouth of the holes, making sure that the tip (where the leaves grow out from) faces outward. This is so that the green sprouts grow outwards, rather than inward into the plastic bottle.
– Once you’re done arranging the bulbs, pour some more soil into the plastic bottle to cover them. Keep pouring until the soil reaches the next row of holes.
– Repeat steps 4 and 5.
– Continue adding soil and onions until the bottle is full.
– You can tape the neck of the bottle back on or leave it as it is.
And as easy as that, you’ll have your very own spring onion container garden. Just water the soil at the mouth of the bottle, and within 5-7 days you should have your spring onions fully grown.
Once they’re grown, you can just cut the stem 3cm (1in) above the root, and within a week they will grow back again! You can have your very own weekly harvest of spring onions. Just make sure you keep watering.